Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Baked spinach & ricotta gnoccchi (gluten free/low carb)

I'm currently on a lower carb diet and do you know what I miss?
Bread?  No!
Potato? No
Sugar? Not even.
 
I miss pasta. It's yummy and it's hearty and it's a great fall-back family meal.
 
So this is my way of having pasta while not really having pasta. The gnocchi doesn't stay together as well as traditional gnocchi because it lacks flour to bind it but once it's baked it's reasonably firm and it's rich and cheesy and gives you that lovely "I just ate Italian food" feeling.
 
You can use full-fat ricotta and parmesan or low-fat. The result is the same.
 
I froze 2/3 of this for another meal so I think with salad this feeds 6.
 
Baked Spinach and ricoota gnocchi
500g ricotta
1 egg
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs (or use fresh)
1 box frozen spinach (thawed per instructions and drained).
500g spagetti sauce (Home made or the jarred variety)
pepper to taste
 
1. In a bowl combine ricotta, egg, spinach, herbs, parmesan and pepper. Stir to combine.
2. Spray a dish with olive oil.
3. Using two tablespoons form dumplings and arrange in dish (or in two as I did). Make sure they don't touch.
4. Pour sauce around the gnocchi.
5. Bake in a moderate oven about 25 minutes.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment