Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 New Year for blogging and some goals (and a recipe for Simple Salmon Dip)

Somehow the end of 2013 got a little crazy and my time  and ability to blog evaporated, it seems.
 
I would make something new and forget to take a photo or realise I was making the same old things  to save myself time and energy so it didn't seem blog-worthy.
 
I have a few goals for 2014 for the blog and my kitchen. Hopefully they are simple and manageable.
 
1. Blog weekly (hopefully more).
2. Waste less food
I read an appalling statistic about Australians and how much food we waste. When you consider how many people go without, the affect on the environment and the personal economic cost well it makes sense to waste less.
 
This isn't the article I read but it sure makes the point.
 
3. Buy less pre-prepared food.
Some of the things I buy for convenience I could just as easily make myself and this would help with the food waste issue as well.
 
I've already started on this and I'm doing pretty well so far. Below is an example. We were heading out on our boat and we wanted to take some snacks. I often go buy some nice cheese or dip but instead using some things lurking in my fridge I made this yummy dip which was as nice if not nicer than store bought and I was able to use up some things that would have ended up being tossed otherwise.
 
Simple Salmon Dip
50g smoked salmon
1/2 tub of leftover cream cheese (about 100g)
1/2 tub of leftover sour cream (about 100g, you could easily use natural yoghurt)
1 teaspoon of fresh dill (dried would work)
a squeeze of lemon juice
1 dill pickle diced.
 
1. Place ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth.
2. Enjoy!
 
(Not the best picture or presentation but boating can be a bit rustic!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment