Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Choc, banana, berry mini muffins

In the school holidays (as we say in Australia) or vacation as they say in the US one of the hardest things as a parent is to keep enough healthy snacks available for picnics, play dates and other outings. We eat lots of fruit for snacks but sometimes that's just not quite what everyone is in the mood for.

These are also the items that send the grocery budget sky-rocketing. A packet of chips, a box of flavoured crackers, store bought muffins or cake all add up pretty quickly at the check-out. Then there are all the added fats and flavourings as well.

I'm not going to lie to you, I do buy those things but I also try to bake healthy yummy snacks.

Yesterday I thought we were off on a boating picnic today. I was tired and not really in the mood but the oven was on for last night's sweet potato fries so I got up and made a batch of these yummy mini muffins. I had a banana on the turn and a few strawberries and blueberries that weren't going to last so I tossed them in. By making the muffins chocolate they seem like a treat when honestly it's just a bit of cocoa powder.

I'm a big fan of mini muffins. I find a regular Texas-style muffins too big to eat and half always ends up in the trash. Two mini muffins is about what an average kid needs. This recipe made 36 muffins or 16 serves based on that theory. I have put quite a few in the freezer for other days. I like having mini muffins and cake slices in the freezer. When school goes back I can reach in and grab them and toss them in my daughter's lunch or my husband's (he brown-bags when he can). It makes that morning rush easy. A sandwich, some fruit and a couple of muffins is a yummy and healthy lunch.

Choc,banana, berry mini muffins
 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 soft banana, mashed with a fork
1 cup mixed berries, chopped if using strawberries (you could use frozen)

1. Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
2. Combine milk, vanilla, egg and oil in a jug. Pour into bowl and stir until just combined.
3. Gently mix in fruit.
4. Spoon into greased mini muffin tins. (You can use muffin papers/liners if you choose)
5. Bake in moderate oven about 10 minutes (will vary according to your oven so check). Turn onto wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of making mini muffins instead of a larger muffin. The combination of fruits and chocolate sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete