Monday, April 9, 2012

Sleepover food

It's school holidays now and that means only one thing when you have a pre-teen daughter in the house. Sleepovers!

I'm not sure when every weekend and every school holiday/vacation night officially became sleepover nights for kids because that wasn't the case when I was a kid. We had pretty strict rules about what we could and couldn't do and there seemed to be an unspoken quote limit we all adhered to...I do remember the very strictly enforced rule "never ask for your friend to come over/sleep-over" in front of the other kid and/or their parents. Not sure when that one was retired but I will say it certainly isn't very active in my corner of Sydney.

Anyway one of the challenges of sleep-overs for me anyway is food. Some kids are pretty fussy - the list of what they don't eat is longer than the list of what they do. Other kids just have fairly limited taste/experience - "do you like fish?" and they say yes. Turns out they have only eaten it deep fried.

Do you remember that awkward feeling of being on a sleepover and not liking the dinner? How did you politely not eat the food? How did you deal with the hunger? I remember.It was awful. And given it's my natural inclination to feed people well I just don't want my lovely little house-guests feeling that way.

So sleepover food is an issue. Some of our popular options:
- burgers on the BBQ
- homemade pizza
- spaghetti and meatballs
- lasagna

Last week we did mini burgers (sliders for the US readers) and homemade sweet potato fries.

So what are your sure fire sleepover foods?


No comments:

Post a Comment